Wasp Atlas Project reminder
Just a reminder that after a bit of a slow start social wasps are beginning to be a bit more obvious now, so please keep an eye open for any in your area.

A great way to find wasps in safety is just to check the flowers of Hogweed and Angelica, favourites for the insects to forage at.  They tend to be quite leisurely there, and can be photographed to confirm the species  A full-face shot is the crucial one, and a top view or side view is a helpful addition.

Records from the less populated areas are especially valuable - Caithness, Sutherland, W Ross and Lochaber, for example.

Lots more information on the Wasp Atlas Project is on our website.
A 'thank you' to HBRG and to Murdo in particular for getting me interested in the social wasps. Although Covid restrictions mean I haven't been able to get into HBRG's area so far this year, at least I have now added two wasp species to my VC87 (West Perthshire) garden list - Saxon Wasp last year and as of last week, German Wasp. Both were by-catch in my garden moth-trapping sessions, the German Wasp pictured here:

That is very interesting, Don. Even though out of our area, please let me have the record details, as both are significant in filling in gaps in the maps.
Will do, Murdo.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)